In early 2017 Instant Pot release the new and improved 9 in 1 DUO Plus. It’s an upgrade to the popular DUO line of electric pressure cookers and increases the model from a 7-in-1 multi-cooker to a 9-in-1.
Just for Today Get the IP DUO for $79.00 – Click Here >
How does the Instant Pot DUO electric pressure cookers compare to the DUO PLUS?
The basic specifications of the cookers are the same. The biggest difference is the 2 extra programs that come together on the DUO Plus, one being double (cake and egg program) and the addition of the new Sterilize mode, it also features an updated control panel with its LCD screen.
In a Hurry? check the best prices on Amazon:
Instant Pot – IP DUO – Check out today’s best prices>
Instant Pot – IP DUO Plus – Check out today’s best prices>
The IP-DUO models do not have the Cake, Egg and Sterilize programs. Also, the Duo Plus does not have an adjust key: you can simply keep pressing the program button to choose between the less, normal or more settings.
In the beginning, only the Duo came in multiple sizes but now both models are available in three pot sizes: 3-quart, 6-quart, and 8-quart.
Instant Pot Duo vs Duo Plus Table
|DUO 7 in 1
DUO Plus 9 in 1
|Pot size||3, 6, 8 Quart||3, 6, 8 Quart|
|Weight||14.57 lbs||14.8 lbs|
Instant Pot DUO Plus 9 in 1 vs DUO 7 in 1 – Differences
At a glance:
- Three new buttons for cake, egg and sterilizing – see above for more details
- Blue LCD display with new icons
- Improved user manual
- New maximum fill line on the inner pot
- NEW! 3-Quart and 8-Quart Instant Pot Duo Plus
The DUO Plus (9 in 1) appear as an upgraded version of the DUO model (7 in 1), featuring almost all the same functions as the 7 in 1 model plus 2 new functions the Cage/Egg function plus the Sterilize mode. They also have in mind a lot of the concerns and requirements of users from older models trying to get the most full-featured pressure cooker on the market.
The three new programmed buttons as we mentioned before are the cake, egg, and sterilization functions.
The Sterilization is more of a function rather than a cooking mode. The main use is to sterilize your utensils or possibly pasteurize milk.
With the Sterilize mode, the company states that you can use for certain types of canning as well but have in mind that all low acid pressure canning should be only done in larger stovetop pots for safety reasons.
Another big difference is the display panel. The control panel that comes in the 9 in 1 model is larger and is a little bit easier to use. There are of course new buttons for the preset cooking functions and sterilization mode and the screen itself is easier to read and comes with a few new icons to make it easier to see extra information about the current cooking mode or cycle. It will look a lot like the IP-Smart screen.
Other features of the DUO Plus which are different from the regular DUO models is that they now give you the opportunity to change the cooking mid-cycle. For instance, you can go from high to low-pressure mid-cycle or even switch cooking modes altogether at any point in the cooking process.
In addition to this model, Instant Pot releases the Ultra pressure cooker, which includes even more benefits like being able to cook in sous-vide mode or fine-tune the cooking time, pressure, and temperature and even adjust for altitude.
Great additions to get the most complete multi-function cooker. To learn more check out review of the Instant Pot Ultra here.
Is the Instant Pot IP-DUO Plus Better or Worth it?
Of course, all of the features that make the bestseller DUO model worth buying are still there. You still get the trusted name brand and all the cooking modes that make Instant Pot so special.
Yogurt making and multiple PSI settings are still the main upgrades from the LUX version to the DUO model but a cool addition that comes with the DUO Plus model is the 2 new functions that give you the ability to cook cake, egg and sterilize your utensils, plus the improvement of the control panel is going to be a game-changer for lots of people who just don’t understand the screen on older models.
The bigger screen, for instance, makes it much easier to read and the buttons make a little bit more sense for either choosing pre-programmed functions or for manually setting the PSI and cooking duration.
For some people and more first time users, the manual controls can be a little tricky to understand. With the 9 in 1 model, the manual control will be more intuitive.
Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt – Buy now for $99.95
The Best Seller and beloved 6-quart IP-DUO60 is a 7-in-1 multifunctional countertop appliance, that is not only a pressure cooker but is at the same time a slow cooker, steamer, rice cooker, warmer, yogurt maker, and saute/browning functionality.
The DUO pressure cooker is a smart Electric Pressure Cooker created to be Convenient and Safe. It speeds up the cooking process by 2 to 6 times and spending up to 70% less energy.
The pressure cooker comes in 3 different sizes that all feature 7 appliances in 1 and they have some differences when it comes to Heating Element, for example, the small model uses 900W the 6 quarts 1000W and the 8 quarts version goes with a powerful 1200W
Featuring 14 Smart Built-in programs ranging from soup to poultry to porridge. The appliance is able to pressure cook at high or low pressures, allowing you to cook food very quickly or avoid overcooking delicate foods. It has the ability to choose between 3 different temperatures for slow cooking and sauteing, and it also features an automatic keep-warm function.
- For families, 4-6 people
- 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cooker–Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Saute/Browning, Yogurt Maker, Steamer & Warmer
- Large, easy to use control panel with 14 built-in Smart Programs, Dual pressure, Automatic keep-warm and 3 temperatures for saute and slow cook
- Delay cooking time up to 24-Hours; Manual setting up to 120 minutes of cook time
- UL and ULC certified with 10 proven safety mechanisms; Highly energy efficient and kitchen friendly
- Include 3-ply bottom stainless steel cooking pot, stainless steel steam rack with handle & manual and recipes in English and French
- 14 Smart Programs – Soup/Broth, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Sauté/Simmer, Rice, Multigrain, Porridge, Steam, Slow Cook, Keep Warm, Yogurt, Manual, and Pressure Cook.
- Healthy, stainless steel (18/8) inner cooking pot made from food grade 304, no chemical coating, 3-ply bottom for even heat distribution, fully sealed environment traps the flavors, nutrients, and aromas within the food
- Exterior, brushed stainless steel, fingerprint-resistant, with lid holder for left and right-handed users, removable cord.
- Built with the latest 3rd generation technology, the microprocessor monitors pressure, temperature, keeps time and adjusts heating intensity and duration to achieve your desired results every time
- The Smart Cooker, remembers the way you cook, each program remembers your last customization.
- Dual Pressure Settings for fast and flexible cooking. Cooking with high pressure reduces cooking time by up to 70% and cooking with low pressure avoids overcooking delicate foods.
- Accessories include stainless steel steam rack with handles, rice paddle, soup spoon, measuring cup, condensation collector and recipe booklet. The cooking pot, lid and steam rack are dishwasher safe.
Instant Pot IP-DUO Plus60 9-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt – Buy now for $129.95
The DUO Plus appears on the market as an upgrade of the DUO model that as we said at the beginning is one of the best sellers from the Instant pot family. Its a bit higher on price (+$30) when compared to the DUO version, but it makes up for that with some additional features.
The Duo Plus 9-In-1 Programmable kitchen appliance with advanced microprocessor technology incorporates all of the great features that made the Duo the #1 best seller. It comes with new and improved programs like the Cake, Egg, and Sterilize programs.
The Cake program has been designed to pressure cook soft and moist cakes; whereas, the Egg program has been created to prepare perfect eggs in just a few minutes. Using the Sterilize program you can pasteurize milk, as well as sterilize utensils, jars and baby bottles!. You can also perform certain types of canning in a more efficient way.
The alarm clock aesthetic of the display has been upgraded to a blue LCD screen, that will also display icons that will show you the selected settings. As another tiny upgrade, the inner bowl also shows you a more comprehensive max/min fill lines.
- For families, 4-6 people
- Duo Plus is the latest evolution in the #1 selling multi-cooker the Duo series with more custom features, improved usability, and a large attractive blue LCD screen
- Duo Plus replaces 9 common kitchen appliances including pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, egg cooker, sauté, steamer, warmer, sterilizer and it makes cake too
- Up to 70% quicker. A great meal is a press of a button away with 15 microprocessor controlled programs taking the guesswork out of your cooking. You can achieve perfect results every time
- All components in contact with food are food grade 304 (18/8) stainless steel including the lid, the inner pot with 3-ply bottom and steam rack with handles. They are easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- UL & UCL certification with 10 proven safety mechanisms gives you peace of mind. Highly Energy efficient, this kitchen-friendly cooker Emits no steam when cooking, contains all smells and automates your cooking.
- 15 built-in programs: beans and chilis, cake, eggs, meats and stews, multigrain, porridge, rice, soups and broths, yogurt, slow cooking, sautéing and searing, steaming, sterilizing, keep warm, and (of course) pressure cooking.
- Accessories: condensation collector, rice paddle, stainless steel steam rack with handles, soup spoon, recipe booklet, serving spoon, and measuring cup
- Dual pressure settings for high- and low-pressure recipes
- Adjustability even after cooking has begun—no worry if you hit the wrong button
- Delayed start time—prep dinner before you even leave for work
- Instant Pot Lux 6 in 1 vs Duo 7 in 1
- Instant Pot Ultra vs Duo Plus
- Instant Pot vs Pressure Cooker 2019 Review
- What size Instant Pot is the best for you? 2019