Cooking a whole chicken seems like a bit much for a small appliance such as the Instant Pot, but be sure that from now on you will be able to cook the Best Instant Pot Whole Chicken Rotisserie ever, and be prepare for some extra eaters.
We give you the best tips and tricks to get the Best Whole Chicken and if you want to get that rotisserie taste we also have you covered.
Read below and find it out!
- 1 How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot
- 2 Cooking Times for Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- 3 Can I Cook a Frozen Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot?
- 4 Why Make a Roast Chicken in the Instant Pot?
- 5 Instant Pot Whole Chicken Recipe
- 6 Instant Pot Whole Chicken Rotisserie Video Recipe
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot
1) Prepare the Chiken: Separate the skin from the chicken using a spoon.
2) Instant Pot: Put the trivet inside the instant pot and pour in 1 cup of chicken broth. Add the chicken breast-side-up and stuff the inside with garlic cloves and half of a squeezed lemon.
3) Prepare the Butter Sauce: Combine melted butter with all of the flavorings. Put half of the mix under the skin of the chicken and pour the rest of the mix throughout the whole chicken.
4) Pressure Prepare The Chicken: Cover the Instant Pot with the lid, set the Pressure Release Valve to the“sealing” position, cook at High Pressure for 6 mins per pound followed by a 15-minute natural pressure release, and then do a quick manual release to get rid of the extra vapor from the pot.
Broil for Crisp Browned Skin: Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet, season it with more salt, pepper, and paprika. Let it brown in the center of the stove for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the wanted Grill color is achieved.
Cooking Times for Instant Pot Whole Chicken
The main rule that you have to follow is for every Pound of chicken you cook it on High Pressure for 6 Minutes. Then you do a 15 minutes natural release followed by a quick manual release to get out the extra pressure from the Instant Pot.
- 3 pound = 18 mins on high pressure + a 15-min natural release.
- 3 1/2 lbs = 21 minutes on high pressure + a 15-min natural release.
- 4 pound = 24 mins on high pressure + a 15-min natural release.
- 4 1/2 lb = 27 minutes on high pressure + a 15-min natural release.
- 5 pound = 30 minutes on high pressure + a 15-min natural release.
- Remember the Perfectly cooked Chicken on the Instant Pot is tender and juicy at 6 mins per pound
Can I Cook a Frozen Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot?
For our recipe, a fresh or thawed chicken works perfectly. But you can also cook this recipe with Frozen CHicken as well, however, it will take considerably longer (60-70 minutes on high pressure), another detail to have in mind I that you will not be able to put the flavored butter under the skin if you start with Frozen chicken.
You can also check our recipe for Instant Pot Frozen chicken Breast.
Why Make a Roast Chicken in the Instant Pot?
There’s more than a reason to prefer this cooking method instead of the grill or the oven.
Firstly a really important point is the time factor, this is when the Instant Pot always comes first, it will be at least half the time that it will take you if you make it on the oven and even more if you want to grill it.
Another important reason is that the chicken when cooked inside the Instant Pot reaches a unique texture where your chicken ends up being the most tender and juicy just because of the Instant Pot cooking method.
And last but not least even if it’s frozen you can cook it using the Instant Pot without the need of waiting for hours until the chicken is defrosted.
So at the end of the day cooking a whole chicken in Your Instant Pot is the best way.
Tips to get the best Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken:
- Always cook the chicken for 6 mins per pound and after that perform a natural release for 15 minutes. By doing this the pressure of the pot will release itself gradually making sure that your chicken is totally cooked and tender making it even juicier.
- Weigh the chicken to be sure about the right time to cook it for. If you overcook the chicken the texture will crumble and it will also lose the tenderness.
- Check if the Chicken fits inside your Instant Pot. If you have a 6 qt instant pot you will be able to fit a chicken up to 5 lb chicken. For bigger-sized chicken, you will need an 8 qt pressure cooker.
- Use a Trivet for even cooking as well as to help you remove the chicken from the pot.
- Broil the chicken for a crispy-looking skin.
- Do not throw out the drippings– they make the most effective gravy to pour over your chicken.
- Maintain the carcass and also the bones for Instant Pot Chicken Brew.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Recipe
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Sage
- 200ml of water
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- Pour the water into the bottom of your Instant Pot and include the steaming rack or trivet.
- Using a chopping board place the whole chicken. Pour the olive oil right into the skin by softly massage the meat and skin, and also rub your seasoning mix into the skin.
- Now place the chicken inside the Pot on top of the trivet or rack, place the lid on your Instant Pot, set the valve to sealing, and set the timer for 40 mins on the High-Pressure mode.
- Now perform a natural release for 15 mins and then release the rest of the pressure with a quick release.
- Serve and Enjoy!
The time is key for this recipe so remember to respect the 6 minutes per pound rule. But in case that you are not sure just add 5 extra minutes to the whole recipe so you are truly sure that is properly cooked.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Rotisserie Video Recipe
This recipe will give you the best tips and tricks to not only cook the perfect Instant Pot Whole Chicken Rotisserie but also an easy and delicious Gravy to make it even better!
So Let Us Know if you like the Recipe and if there’s something else that you would like us to write about just Get in Touch and dont be a stranger!
And lets get Cooking! 🙂