Sticky Rice (also known as Sweet Rice or Glutinous Rice) is a non-translucent, nontransparent milky-colored, long grain rice.
Due to very low amylose material, it comes to be specifically sticky when cooked.
It’s commonly utilized in numerous Southeast as well as East Oriental recipes. Some of my preferred comfort food & dim amounts are made with glutinous rice or glutinous rice flour (ground glutinous rice):
- Deep-Fried Glutinous Rice Dumplings.
- Lo Mai Gai.
- Japanese Mochi もち.
- Thai Dessert Sticky Rice with Mango (Kow Neuw Mamuang)
In spite of the name, Glutinous Rice is gluten-free.
Typically, genuine Sticky Rice consumed in Laos or Thailand is pre-soaked for several hours (and even overnight!), after that steamed in a Unique Sticky Rice Cleaner Pot & Basket, which then massaged with a wood paddle.
But is it possible to achieve the perfect sticky rice with our Instant Pot?
What We Search for in Sticky Rice?
- Uniformly cooked.
- Stay undamaged & separated (not mush).
- Tender yet sticky & chewy.
- Dry (not soggy).
- Flavorful & fragrant.
Tips to get the Perfect Sticky Rice Using the Instant Pot.
- Do not utilize regular white rice. Use jasmine rice.
- Don’t skip the rinsing of the rice. It simply takes a minute as well as is an essential part of the end outcome of real sticky rice. (Factor being, it washes and rinses away any extra starches that are hanging around on the rice grains. This maintains the water from getting too milky and the rice from getting mushy.).
- Be patient on the launch and wait the complete 10 mins before launching as well as opening up.
- Make a fantastic homemade ‘fakeout takeout’ to opt for it– similar to this or THIS or THIS or THIS.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot check our Full Review to find the one that fits you the best.
Instant Pot Sticky Rice Best Recipes
As always we give you different recipes as well the best from the Internet!
Instant Pot Sticky Rice – Korean
Cook Time 12 mins Natural Release 10 mins Total Time 12 mins Cuisine: Korean
This Recipe is a great and easy way to start in your Sticky journey with your Instant Pot.
- Course: Side Dish
- Servings: 1 cup
- Calories: 640 kcal
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1 cup of water
- Start by Lightly rinse and drain the rice.
- Then put the rice and water inside your Instant Pot.
- Ensure the valve is set to seal and close the lid.
- Start the “rice” Function.
- Allow to natural release for 10 minutes.
- Carefully release any remaining pressure and remove the lid.
- Fluff gently with a fork and serve immediately.
Instant Pot Sticky Rice – Jasmine Rice
Cook Time 7 mins Natural Release 10 mins Total Time 9 mins
- 1 Cup of Jasmine Rice
- 1 Cup of hot water
- A Pinch of salt
- The first and most important step is to rinse the rice in a colander with cold/lukewarm water. Rinse until the water runs clear under the colander.
- Then transfer the rinsed (and wet) rice to the base of the Instant Pot insert.
- Now add hot water and put the lid on.
- Set to Sealing.
- Cook on Manual Mode, High Pressure for 7 minutes.
- Use the natural release for 10 minutes, then release the steam valve and let remaining pressure release.
- Remove insert and serve Instant Pot Sticky Rice as a side dish or base for the meal.
Instant Pot Sticky Rice Best Recipes From the Internet
Instant Pot Sticky Rice – Pressure Cook Recipes
As always Amy and Jack provide us the most detailed reviews on how to cook on your Instant Pot.
With a full review of the different ways to cook rice and get the best Sticky rice.
Instant Pot Sticky Rice with Green Curry Sauce – Full of Plants
This is an interesting approach to the sticky rice with a curry twist that is a very Thai way to make the Sticky Rice (We need to confess that we think that the best Sticky rice comes from Thailand)
How to Cook Perfect Rice – Instant Pot
This is a full review from the Instant Por folks, there no recipes here but a lot of tips on how to cook rice in a perfect way on your Instant Pot.